July 22, 2010

Nashville Flood-The Beginning

I have been wanting to write this post for a while, but I haven't been able to find the words to really explain.  So please, bare with me.  This is going to take a while.

During my stay in Nashville, my family and I experienced a traumatic situation.  

On the morning of May 1st, I woke up early, got ready, and headed out the door for work.  It was a rainy Saturday morning.  You know, the kind morning that you just want to crawl on the couch with a warm blanket and watch movies all day.  I didn't want to be at work that morning, but I was holding on to the fact that I was going to see Jimmy Buffett in concert that night.  The rain continued to come down as we opened the doors to the bank.  We all discussed that it would be a slow day because of the rain.  As the hours started to slowly pass by, customers would trickle in and out.  The rain was still coming down.  We would jokingly ask some of our customers where they parked their boat.  Near the end of our 4 hour day, we started to hear that back roads were starting to flood, and trees had fallen across roads blocking the way home for some.  We closed the bank, and with umbrellas in hand, we headed to our cars telling each other to be safe on the way home and to enjoy the weekend.  It was still raining.  I made it home, and shortly after arriving, the emergency pager started to go off.  {My brother is a firefighter, and my sister-in-law works for the county on the ambulance.}  Calls were starting to come in that roads were flooding and some were impassible.  Our small town suddenly became water locked.  There was no way in, and no way out.  It was decided that there would be no Jimmy Buffett concert for me that night.  Though I was bummed, it was the least of my worries; especially hearing a certain call go out on the radio.  As me and Brittney sat there listening to what was going on, getting a play by play of this horrendous moment happening in someone's life, we began to worry.  We wondered if the rain would stop just enough to let some of the standing water go down.  The rain did ease up for a little bit, but we could still see the water from the river coming out of it's banks, and into the field behind our house as the night continued on.



Blog Template by